Savory Smashed Sweet PotatoesPosted by Daniella Cippitelli on
Looking to include sweet potatoes this thanksgiving for a healthier carb choice but don’t want all the sugar that goes with the typical sauces they are drenched in? Try this healthier twist on sweet potatoes. These are so easy and so delicious.
Savory Smashed Sweet Potatoes
4-5 medium sweet potatoes (choose ones on the rounder side)
Non-stick cooking spray
6 oz. pesto sauce (you can make your own pesto sauce or use your favorite pre-made pesto)
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook for 20 -25 minutes or until fork tender. Remove potatoes from water.
- Turn oven on to high broil to get heated.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or baking tray with non-stick spray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into circular slices about ¾” to 1” thick and arrange sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet.
- Use a fork to LIGHTLY flatten each piece (they are cooked so they will be soft, try not to press too hard so you can retain the round shape).
- Spread pesto sauce over each piece.
- Place baking sheet in oven. Broil for about 15 minutes. Ovens vary, so keep an eye on them. Once they have a nice golden top they are done.
You can use any extra pesto as dipping sauce.
A medium-sized sweet potato typically has 100 calories, 23 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of protein, and no fat or cholesterol. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin C. and loaded with potassium and vitamin B6. Your total nutritional intake will be dependent on the pesto sauce you choose.Enjoy!
- Tags: nutrition